Rescuing a Failed Painting with ArtResin

March 1, 2019 by Diane Marcotte

We all have them. A painting that just doesn’t cut it. It is just plain blah.

I thought I’d do a pour of acrylics onto a birch panel and hopefully get some cells. I love using blue and greens together. So what could go wrong? Judge for yourself. đŸ™‚

Original Painting
Original Painting

Blah, right? That Lime Green just isn’t right. There are really no dark passages so the whole painting is mainly one value. So ArtResin to the rescue!

Finished Painting
The Finished Resined Painting

Now for the steps from Old to New.

Taped Back
Back Taped with Sheathing Tape (Tuck Tape brand)
Warming Resin in Hot Water
Warming Resin in Hot Water

The optimal temperature for ArtResin is 23 – 25 degrees Celcius (72 – 77 F) and my studio is around 21 degrees C. So I warmed the resin in an old plastic container that I filled 1/2 full of hot water from the tap. It took no more that 8 to 10 minutes to warm the resin. NOTE: Dry the bottles thoroughly after removing from the water. Your working time of 45 minutes will be lessened by 10 minutes or so.

Mica Colours I used
Mica Colours I Used

I mixed up 5 ounces of ArtResin and poured a little into three small plastic cups. To each one I added some mica powder and mixed thoroughly. In addition to these three colours I also mixed some dark green acrylic paint into some resin. I made a mistake though. I didn’t mix it thoroughly enough as you will see. I also left about 2 ounces of clear resin in the original plastic container I used to mix the hardener and resin.

Mixed Colours
Mixed Colours

Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of the resined painting. Because I hadn’t mixed the green acrylic thoroughly it didn’t flow properly on the painting and created divots that I couldn’t fix. Once the painting had cured I sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper. You can see what looks like potholes on the left-hand side. I couldn’t remove them completely with the sanding.

Sanded Painting

I then mixed up a new batch of ArtResin and poured a clear coat over the entire painting. I used a torch to remove the bubbles and covered the painting with a cardboard box to allow it to cure.

Covered with a Box
Covered with a Box
Here’s the Finished Painting Again
Close-up of Finished Painting
Close-up of Finished Painting

The divots are not noticeable at all. And the addition of a second coat of resin has increased the 3-D look to the finished painting. I like this one much better than the original!

Stay tuned for another blog posting of a new resin painting. No mistakes this time!

Please check out my Fine Art America website at – – to view my art that can be printed on canvas, clothing, etc.

If you are reading this blog as an email thanks for subscribing!  If you are reading it on my website please consider subscribing so as to not miss a future posting.

Demonstrations art / painting / resin /


Comments are closed.